status always display as UP if points to correct IP, regardless of availability/reachability options set

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

raymondtong

status always display as UP if points to correct IP, regardless of availability/reachability options set

Post by raymondtong »

I just noticed the Management->Device status always displayed as UP
if I typed in the correct IP, regardless I input the non-existing Pinging port within Availability/Reachability options.

It should be down or unknown status, yet it is always UP.
macan
Cacti Pro User

Re: status always display as UP if points to correct IP, regardless of availability/reachability options set

Post by macan »

Do not use "ping and snmp ..." for Downed Device Detection. Update to 1.2.27, older versions have few issues with device detection
Let the Cacti grow!
raymondtong

Re: status always display as UP if points to correct IP, regardless of availability/reachability options set

Post by raymondtong »

I just updated to 1.2.27 , a test device still always display as UP
I only choose "ping" "tcp" ping to a non-opened port 3399. (which should be detected as down/unknown)

the only working is ping icmp to a specific IP, it can detect correctly and email alert during my test.

(my final objective is only detect whether a windows computer 3389 port is active, determine whether it is still online)
any other things I need to set
macan
Cacti Pro User

Post by macan »

trying add new host, test ping tcp 3389. In device list is state unknown. Wait few poller cycles and status is correct (UP).
Change port to 3399, wait few poller cycles and status is .... ups. Really, still up.

You have spine or cmd poller?
Let the Cacti grow!
raymondtong

Post by raymondtong »

yes, i noticed i should choose spine for poller, the cmd.php actually not working as I want.

after choose spine as poller, it seems the status is correct, it displays down if I set it to a non-opened port.

now just need to find out why there is no email alert for this situation
(email alert did send to me when I test icmp ping down)
macan
Cacti Pro User

Post by macan »

I have problem with spine. Device is always tested Alive. I created issue
https://github.com/Cacti/spine/issues/351

with cmd is it better, incorrect ports is correctly view as down but incorrect port test lasts more than minute
Let the Cacti grow!
raymondtong

Post by raymondtong »

it seems your symptom just opposite as mine, previously it is cmd.php at poller and always UP
today I switch to spine and all things goes as normal now, it will correctly show status down when I points to a non-open port.

the last thing i need to solve now is :
still not sending any email alert to me for status down when ping tcp port failure (but ping icmp port failure will send me email alert)