Does anyone have a healthy freezer casserole recipe?

[Public]

Moderator: Midge

JillinIN
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 479

Does anyone have a healthy freezer casserole recipe?

Post by JillinIN »

I'm going to a friends next week for an online scrappy event and I said I'd bring dinner. It's about an hour drive or more, so I thought I'd make a casserole ahead, pop it in the freezer and it can thaw on the drive there and then go in the oven.

Thanks in advance!
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Re: Does anyone have a healthy freezer casserole recipe?

Post by Art_Teacher »

I don't know how healthy most of mine are. lol  My easy go-to is Cheesy Chicken & Rice.  I throw in broccoli to make it healthier. lol  It is 2 cups of cut-up, cubed chicken breast (already cooked).  You can use canned, but it is way more salty.

2 cups cut-up chicken breast (pre-cooked or canned...drain the can)
1 cup long-cooking rice (I like jasmine rice because it's creamier with a little wild rice thrown in for crunch, but you can use white rice, brown rice, or whatever you like)
1 can of mushroom soup, plus 2 cans of water (mix them together first, then add rice and chicken)
1/2 to 1 package of frozen broccoli, depending on how much you like
3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
I don't add any extra salt because of the garlic salt and soup mix, but that is up to you. 

Stir all the ingredients together and put them in 13 x 9 casserole dish.  If freezing, cover with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. To cook, put in a 350 degree oven for an hour (or more...top should be bubbly).  Sprinkle top with more shredded cheddar for the last 10-15 minutes and let cheese get brown/bubbly.  If you are cooking it and not freezing it, or if it is thawed, it should only take 30-45 minutes.  Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving to "set."
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2439

Post by emmapaige »

I just checked on Pinterest and there are lots of great ideas there. I’ll probably be spending time on there and saving some! 😜
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 am
I don't know how healthy most of mine are. lol  My easy go-to is Cheesy Chicken & Rice.  I throw in broccoli to make it healthier. lol  It is 2 cups of cut-up, cubed chicken breast (already cooked).  You can use canned, but it is way more salty.

1 cup long-cooking rice (I like jasmine rice because it's creamier with a little wild rice thrown in for crunch, but you can use white rice, brown rice, or whatever you like)
1 can of mushroom soup, plus 2 cans of water (mix them together first, then add rice and chicken)
I don't add any extra salt because of the garlic salt and soup mix, but that is up to you. 

Stir all the ingredients together and put them in 13 x 9 casserole dish.  If freezing, cover with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. To cook, put in a 350 degree oven for an hour (or more...top should be bubbly).  Sprinkle top with more shredded cheddar for the last 10-15 minutes and let cheese get brown/bubbly.  If you are cooking it and not freezing it, or if it is thawed, it should only take 30-45 minutes.  Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving to "set."

This sounds so good! I'll definitely be making this! Thanks so much for typing this all up!! I think I have everything on hand. I may make it tomorrow!
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

emmapaige wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:31 am
I just checked on Pinterest and there are lots of great ideas there. I’ll probably be spending time on there and saving some! 😜

I love pinterest! I have a ton of recipes saved.
I tell DH, "I'm on pinterest and I can't get off!" (in the same tone as the "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials.) :-D
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

JillinIN wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:28 pm
Art_Teacher wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 am

This sounds so good! I'll definitely be making this! Thanks so much for typing this all up!! I think I have everything on hand. I may make it tomorrow! 
You are welcome!  I hope it works out okay. My timings are for my old oven. lol I just bake it until it looks right.  ;)

Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image

Return to “Share a Recipe”