May 2024 Book Lover's Challenge

Moderator: ACOT Employee

rachel0017
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 374

May 2024 Book Lover's Challenge

Post by rachel0017 »

It’s the classic story: Kid wants dog. Mom does not want dog. Kid is relentless. Mom assuages kid with all sorts of small tanked and caged animals. Kid still wants dog. Mom gives in. Kid gets dog. Mom and dog become best friends.

Although she never wanted a dog, when Mattie becomes part of their family, Ann Abel cannot help but fall in love. Since she works from home, Ann and Mattie become each other’s primary companion and the bond is instant. Therefore, when Mattie is killed in a tragic accident, Ann spirals into a depression from which she is not sure she’ll return. 

She decides that the best way to honor Mattie’s memory is to get another dog right away that she can pour all of her love and attention into, just like she did with Mattie. Upon arriving at the kennel, they are met with Milo, a stately dog who is the picture of reserve and calm, and it is love at first sight. Unfortunately, when they arrive home, they learn that the first impression Milo put forth is not who he really is. He is aggressive, biting two of Ann’s three children, loudly barks at any car or person who passes by the window, and pulls the leash during walks, dragging Ann across the ground, any time so much as a squirrel runs past.  

Though she considers returning him to the shelter, Ann’s desire to do right by Milo forces her to search out ways to temper his behavior. Ultimately, she is led to the foremost dog trainer in the region. Thus begins a relationship between pet and owner that will, at turns, challenge Ann, take her out of her comfort zone, and force her to do things she never thought she’d do. But, as she learns, the great thing about dogs is that however much you give them in terms of love, trust, and protection, they give you back double in return.  

OPTION 1: KEEP ON SWIMMING
After learning that Milo had been returned to the shelter twice before coming to live with Ann’s family, she decided she was not going to give up on him. It took lots of time, dedication, and perseverance, but by working together, Ann and Milo were able to learn to trust one another and develop a relationship that, while different from the one she shared with Mattie, was special nonetheless. So, for Option 1, scrap about an experience that was difficult and that you (or someone you know) had to work hard to overcome. The primary focus for this page should be the struggle, and ultimate triumph.  

OPTION 2: YOUR FAVORITE PET
This might seem a bit obvious, but at the core of this book is the bond between human and animal. I have four pets myself (three cats and a dog) and, while they can be frustrating, loud, and in the way, I absolutely cannot imagine my life without them in it. That said, make a page about a pet (or pets) you’ve had who has changed your life for the better.

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due May 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. If there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month, a second name will be drawn and that person will get an automatic entry for the following month.

Participants:
Last edited by rachel0017 on Wed May 01, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jolly Holly Scraps
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 503

Re: May 2024 Book Lover's Challenge

Post by Jolly Holly Scraps »

Love it! 😍
VickiR
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1350

Post by VickiR »

Great challenge...sounds like our daughter's story.
The Scrap Attack
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 121

Post by The Scrap Attack »

Here is my entry combined with the Cherry Lift Challenge! I chose option 2. My kitty Europa was adopted from Petsmart after I saw she was available in our local store . She's sassy and sweet and affectionate (on her own terms) and I cannot imagine life without her!

Image Image Image

Return to “Contests & Challenges”